Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Bird-tacular

There are some new tenants sharing space with me these days. Luckily, they're quite small and prefer the balcony.

Less than a week after placing some flower boxes outside with some potted plants, I went outside to water them and noticed some debris in the center box. It took a moment to realize that it wasn't leaves or pine needles blown in by the recent storm, but the beginnings of a nest. My suspicions were confirmed when I went back inside and watched: before long a bird perched on the edge of the balcony, twig in beak, and added to the structure.




















At first, it was relatively small, not protruding too much from the planter.


















During the next few days I kept an eye on the balcony as two birds made trips back and forth, gradually building their nest. It morphed from a loose pile of dirt and scrubby bits off stuff to a compact and dense structure. I was amazed. But I was also concerned: as I periodically went outside to water the flowers, would they become uncomfortable with my proximity?


















Eventually, I couldn't stand it: the plants HAD to be watered, and I HAD to get an up close look at this nest. It's amazing.


















So then I started feeling REALLY bad: what if they abandoned it, after spending all that time building? What if they built their little love nest and then got spooked by the flower-watering, photo-taking human? I didn't have long to wait.

Got eggs?!


















I think Daddy Bird likes to keep watch (below)--there was definitely a showdown in the parking lot the other day: lots of flying around in tight formations and squawking at one another. Seemed to me one of the bird parents was laying claim to some territory. Hopefully my resident feathered friends will stay content until the eggs hatch....I want to see some baby birds!