Tuesday, July 8, 2008

One shot.....a multitude of looks

Even though I knew Photoshop was a tool capable of a lot more than I had previously tapped into, now I'm even more aware. And amazed. Not to mention thrilled and really excited at what I can learn to do. I've aware of the tendency some graphic designers and photographers have to overdo it, so I plan to be judicious with my edits, and probably get lots of feedback along the way. After all, as a freelance photographer shooting mainly people, the goal is to make them look good....themselves but better. Ideally the image should appeal because it captures the subject, and any Photoshop editing should enhance that, without distracting.


Now, about the feedback....here we go. Here's a shot from my recent visit with 3 month old D. His mom is a friend, so I've already gotten to shoot this little guy several times. (He may be a frequent "test model" as I work on expanding my skills!) After making a few standard edits of my own, I applied a variety of "recipes" of effects or filters to get a specific look.

Here is the basic image, followed by the different effects. Let me know which ones you like!










PW's B&W










B&W Beauty










Soft Focus










Soft and Faded










Lovely and Ethereal










Beautifier