Saturday, January 8, 2011

Celebrating a new year, and my birthday, at IHOP (Atlanta Family Photographer)

There's a family long-standing tradition in our family, and that's having brunch together on New Year's Day.  January 1 happens to be my birthday, and I'm usually out celebrating with friends the night before.  So the day I actually have to admit to being a year older seems a good time to cope by shoveling hashbrowns into my mouth.  That and I just LOVE breakfast food.

So here we are at IHOP.  Mom and Dad, laughing, probably something to do with Dad's fondness for saying "Rooty Tooty Fresh 'N Fruity" with extra-crisp pronunciation ....


There's my sister Paula, then Carin and Sheri, who have functioned as bosom friends and sisters in my life for many years now, then Mom and Dad.


Kathleen, who was not awake yet, Kayleigh, and their dad Wade, my good friend.  We had all been to the Chik Fil A Bowl the night before, so it's a miracle any of us were conscious.  (I, for one, drank a LOT of coffee)

Here's me with my nephews Ian, Levi, and Caleb, across from their mom.

Typical shenanigans.


Levi helping me read my card from Mom, which was sweet and made me cry.

The boys were VERY involved in present selection:  they each individually insisted on picking something for me.  (LOVE them!)  Here's my lavender bath salts....Levi warned me multiple times that it turns the water "colors."

The bag of goodies from my boys....   What can I say?  They know my fondness for lip products (I keep them stashed everywhere) and the color pink.  The fact that my birthday outfit matched their gifts seemed to thrill them, and completely verify their spot-on selections:  a triple pack of Fruit Smoothies Blistex, Bubblegum Lip Smackers, bath salts, pink house socks, and a bar of my favorite dark chocolate.

More goodies:  my new favorite hat, a souvenir from the Chik Fil A Bowl.  South Carolina did not prevail, unfortunately, but the hat will be a reminder of how much fun we had, rather than the game itself.  Years ago my grandfather gave me a Gamecock hat, which saw many youth group outings and such before disappearing when I was cheerleading at a game.  It's been years but I still bemoan the loss of that cap.  Now I have a new one!



Gifts are nice, and pancakes, of course, are essential to the beginning of a new year; but sharing time with family and friends is the best thing about January 1.  Thank you for your love and for making me feel so special!