Monday, January 10, 2011

Snowpocalypse

Also known as the day that SOME people in metro Atlanta ignored a solid 5 days of warnings about the humungus winter storm and seemed surprised by snow.  *sigh*   The weather forecasters don't always get it right, bless their hearts, but they did this time.  Snow....a LOT of snow.  Well beyond the expectations or experience of many born and bred Southerners like myself.

Being totally aware that the supermarkets would be slammed with people buying bread and milk, I stayed in all Sunday afternoon waiting for the weather to turn wintry.  And waited.  And waited.  I was starting to be quite unimpressed with the much touted Snow-bomination when my friend Scott called and asked if it was snowing yet at my apartment.  I looked out my sliding glass door to the wooded lot, saw nothing in the darkness, and said no.  Ten minutes into our conversation, he asked, "Are you sure?" and I looked again.  This time I glanced up at a streetlight and saw the precipitation coming down.  That was around 10:30.  In another 15 minutes the ground had gone from dusted to covered in white, and it didn't stop.  To someone who's rarely seen snow at all, much less accumulation, it was amazing.  In approximately an hour there was 4 inches of snow covering everything in sight.  Despite the fact that it was 11:30pm, I bundled up and headed outside with my camera.  I knew by morning the pristine whiteness would be marred by tire tracks and footprints.





When I first walked out into the parking lot of my apartment no one was around.  It was SO quiet and muffled.

The entrance to the condos near my complex.  Someone still has Christmas lights on their balcony.

The entrance to my apartment complex....you can see the wet flakes coming down in the spotlight.










I walked down Windy Hill Road to the overpass:  traffic headed into town was at a complete stop.

Quite a few cars had been abandoned, either because they'd been in collisions or could go no further in the snow.

A pedestrian casually walks across the deserted Windy Hill Road.

After about an hour, and several well-intentioned offers from drivers asking if I was stranded, I took my frozen nose and wet feet back toward my complex and my nice warm bed.  I knew all that white would still be there when I woke up...